Feltham History Facts
The earliest mention Feltham was in 'King Edgar's time when Feltham was known as Felda, through medieval times when recorded as Felthenham or Felthham.
Feltham is first recorded around the time of King Edgar and noted as Felda with later references being Felta, Felthenham, Feldham.
Rough translation of its name is 'home' in a field.
The Domesday survey notes Feltham as being held by 'a vassal of King Harold - some 1000 acres.
St Dunstans Church dates from about 12th or 13th century with a priest mentioned about 1322 'one Petrus Whyte' the land being held by The Hospital of St Giles in the Fields London.
A happening of note occurred in 1634 when a fire burnt almost all the homes and barns of the parish; so devastating was the damage that the then Lord of the manor paid for much of the re-building.
An Act of Enclosure of 1802 saw much of the heath and old common land brought under private ownership precipitating new homesteads, orchards and agriculture.
The railway came 1848 bring about a further expansion of the town northward and for the first time a High Street proper appeared with dozens of shops 'and jobs'
Agriculture small in its early years had by 19th and 20th centuries expanded into large Farms and Market Gardens - most notable of producers was 'AW Smith'
AW as he was known farmed almost three quarters of Feltham and other lands in neighbouring parishes and employed 70% of the folk hereabouts.
The demise of Market Gardening led the building of many housing estates until today Feltham is reduced to an inextricable constituent of the London Borough of Hounslow.
© Feltham History Group - May 2011 - March 2013